This cake has two of the qualities I love most in cake— it gets better as the days go by, and it's great any time of the day— even breakfast. It's dairy free, refined sugar free, gluten free, super easy, and tastes like a summer in Italy!
1 cup maple syrup
1 orange, zest
3/4 cup olive oil
3 cups almond flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350º. Grease a cake pan and cover the bottom with parchment. (Here's a short how-to video on how to cut parchment to fit a cake pan if you need it.)
- In a large bowl, crack and whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the olive oil in a slow steady drizzle to the eggs while simultaneously whisking the mixture.
- Zest the orange over the mixture and whisk.
- Add the maple and whisk.
- Add the almond flour, sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, and salt evenly over the almond flour and whisk. If the batter feels too thick to whisk, switch to a wooden spoon.
- Pour your batter into the cake pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted at the center of the cake comes out clean. Somewhere near 50 minutes, but the exact time will depend on how warm your oven runs. All ovens are different.